Orvar Korvar <knatte_fnatte_tja...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ok, I read a bit more on TRIM. It seems that without TRIM, there will be more
> unnecessary reads and writes on the SSD, the result being that writes can
> take long time.
>
> A) So, how big of a problem is it? Sun has for long sold SSDs (for L2ARC and
> ZIL), and they dont use TRIM? So, is TRIM not a big concern says Sun?
>
> B) And you talk about DRAM based SSDs, that are immune to TRIM and such
> problems. How much do they cost, where can I find them?

There is only a need for TRIM, when you are on a background storage that needs
extra time in order to prepare an attempt to overwrite parts.

There is no such for RAM, but there is a related need with insulated gate
technology based storage.

> C) I have been waiting for Intels next gen SSD3, the G3, which will be
> released 11 march. But Solaris does not support TRIM. Or, ZFS supports TRIM,
> but the OS does not use it. When can we expect TRIM support in Solaris?
> Shortly, or it is not planned? The next release? Does it require a major
> rewrite of Solaris? Is it much work?

The SATA driver seems to support TRIM issued as a SCSI UNMAP command. ZFS does
not support TRIM.

> D) Will OpenIndiana and Illumos tackle the TRIM problem?

OpenIndiana is a distro and it depends on a ONNV project. From my current
information, OpenIndiana today is based on build 147+ from the last Snorcle
mercurial. I cannot speak for Illumos as I did not see and announcements from a
related hacker so far.

For Schillix-ON (the ONNV base used by future Schillix distros), I can say that
the highest priority is assigned to tasks that emancipate OpenSolaris and remove
left-over closed bits.

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin