On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 10:45 PM, Markus Kovero <markus.kov...@nebula.fi> wrote:
> Hi! I'd go for WD RE edition. Blacks and Greens are for desktop use and
> therefore lack proper TLER settings and have useless power saving features
> that could induce errors and mysterious slowness.

There has been a lot of discussion about TLER in the past, and I'm
less convinced that it's a requirement for zfs than I used to think.
I've been using WD Green (EADS) drives for two years without issue.
They are ones that sleep and TLER settings could be changed on though.

Many of the new WD Green drives (including some of the RE) use 4k
sectors, which will wreak havoc on zpool performance. Other
manufacturers are starting to use 4k sectors on their 5400 rpm drives
as well so shop carefully if you decide to go with a lower spindle
speed. I have not seen a 7200 rpm drive with 4k sectors, but I'm sure
they exist.

-B

--
Brandon High : bh...@freaks.com