Why wouldn't they try a reboot -d? That would at least get some data in the form of a crash dump if at all possible...

A power cycle seems a little medieval to me... At least in the first instance.

The other thing I have noted is that sometimes things to get wedged, and if you can find where, (mdb -k and take a poke at the stack of some of the zfs/zpool commands that are hung to see what they were operating on) and trying a zpool clear on that zpool. Not that I'm recommending that you should *need* to, but that has got me unwedged on occasion. (though, usually when I have dome something administratively silly... ;)

Nathan.

 On 7/03/2011 12:14 PM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Yaverot

We're heading into the 3rd hour of the zpool destroy on "others".
The system isn't locked up, as it responds to local keyboard input, and
I bet you, you're in a semi-crashed state right now, which will degrade into
a full system crash.  You'll have no choice but to power cycle.  Prove me
wrong, please.   ;-)

I bet, as soon as you type in any "zpool" or "zfs" command ... even "list"
or "status" they will also hang indefinitely.

Is your pool still 100% full?  That's probably the cause.  I suggest if
possible, immediately deleting something and destroying an old snapshot to
free up a little bit of space.  And then you can move onward...

While this destroy is "running" all other zpool/zfs commands appear to be
hung.
Oh, sorry, didn't see this before I wrote what I wrote above.  This just
further confirms what I said above.

zpool destroy on an empty pool should be on the order of seconds, right?
zpool destroy is instant, regardless of how much data there is in a pool.
zfs destroy is instant for an empty volume, but zfs destroy takes a long
time for a lot of data.

But as mentioned above, that's irrelevant to your situation.  Because your
system is crashed, and even if you try init 0 or init 6...  They will fail.
You have no choice but to power cycle.

For the heck of it, I suggest init 0 first.  Then wait half an hour, and
power cycle.  Just to try and make the crash as graceful as possible.

As soon as it comes back up, free up a little bit of space, so you can avoid
a repeat.

Yes, I've triple checked, I'm not destroying tank.
While writing the email, I attempted a new ssh connection, it got to the
"Last
login:" line, but hasn't made it to the prompt.
Oh, sorry, yet again this is confirming what I said above.  semi-crashed and
degrading into a full crash.
Right now, you cannot open any new command prompts.
Soon it will stop responding to ping.  (Maybe 2-12 hours.)