Follow up, and current status:

In the morning I cut power (before receiving the 4 replies). Turning it on
again, I got too impatient to get a text screen for diagnostics to show that I
overfilled the keyboard buffer.  I forced it off again (to stop the beeps),
then waited longer before attempting to switch it from splash-screen to console.

When it got up, "others" was still there, and a disk (c16) was "faulted" which,
as I only used the pool for light testing, and holding the names of devices,
was a stripe, so the pool was faulted.  My guess is that the disk switched to
faulted between the zpool status and the "zpool destroy others", and then got
stuck trying to write the "not-in-use" label to the unavail disk.

I was able to "zpool destroy -f others" and add those to my newtank. ( using -f
on add )
So newtank is now large enough for a send/recv from tank.  It isn't done yet,
but a scrub on tank takes about 36 hours (newtank is mirrors instead of tank's
raidz3).
Two drives show faulted in tank, one I found, it renamed itself from either c12
or c14 to c21, but my attempt to add it back to the pool gave an error that c10
is already part of tank. Yes c10 is part of tank, but the commandline referred
to c14 and c21, so why talk about c10? Getting the data onto newtank seamed the
best thing to push for, so I'm doing the send/recv with tank degraded, one more
disk can disappear before any data is at risk.

My power-off/reboot before running an export/import loop on newtank means all
those drives have different names now than the ones I wrote on them. :(

rpool remains 1% inuse. tank reports 100% full (with 1.44G free), "others" is
destroyed but I know that c16 is still physically connected and hasn't be
zfs-delabeled should it ever online itself. zfs list shows data being recv'ed
on newtank.

So:
1. send/recv tank->newtank progressing, and will hopefully finish with no
problems.
2. Two disks apparently disappeared as they aren't part of any pool and don't
show in format either.*
3. One disk renamed itself and therefore can't be readded/reattached to tank.
(now c21)
4. All drives put into newtank before the destroy showed up, but with different
names. newtank imported cleanly (at the time it was still empty).

*Or I don't see them because I get lost in the order. Comparing output requires
scrolling back & forth, and they aren't sorted the same.