> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Brandon High
>
> Write caching will be disabled on devices that use slices. It can be
> turned back on by using format -e

My experience has been, despite what the BPG (or whatever) says, this is not
true.
When I create pools using slices or not using slices, it doesn't seem to
make any difference to the cache status of the drives.  Also, when I go into
format -e, I attempt to toggle the cache status, and toggling also fails.

Which brings me back to my former argument:  Who cares about the drive cache
anyway.  The system ram makes it irrelevant.

> > 3. Assuming I want to do such an allocation, is this done with quota &
> reservation? Or is it snapshots as you suggest?
>
> I think Edward misspoke when he said to use snapshots, and probably
> meant reservation.

I meant if you are able to reduce or eliminate your reservation, that should
free up enough space to enable you to destroy a snapshot, and re-enable your
reservation.