Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

>> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
>> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Brandon High
>>
>> Write caching will be disabled on devices that use slices. It can be
>> turned back on by using format -e
>
> My experience has been, despite what the BPG (or whatever) says, this is not
> true.
> When I create pools using slices or not using slices, it doesn't seem to
> make any difference to the cache status of the drives.  Also, when I go into
> format -e, I attempt to toggle the cache status, and toggling also fails.
>
> Which brings me back to my former argument:  Who cares about the drive cache
> anyway.  The system ram makes it irrelevant.

ZFS only uses system RAM for read caching, as all writes must be written to
some form of stable storage before acknowledged. If a vdev represents a whole
disk, ZFS will attempt to enable write caching. If a device does not support
write caching, the attempt to set wce fails silently.

As you made reference to above, one would need to use 'format -e' to manually
inquire about this capability on a per disk type basis. If a disk does support
write caching, and ZFS enables it, there should be some measurable write I/O
performance, although how much is unclear.

For those interested, one can trace back the ZFS code starting here:

http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/uts/common/fs/zfs/vdev_disk.c#276

Jim