On Wed, March 23, 2011 13:31, Linder, Doug wrote:
> Toby Thain wrote:
>> Linder, Doug wrote:
>>> Warning] From: v...@hostname.ourdomain.com
>>> <mailto:v...@hostname.ourdomain.com> "/directoryname"  Time: 3/23/2011
>>> 3:02:25 AM
>>       /directoryname
>>>       Directory is a mount point to a different filesystem.
>>>       Backed up as empty directory.
>>>
>>> [Minor] From: v...@hostname.ourdomain.com
>>> <mailto:v...@hostname.ourdomain.com> "/directoryname"  Time: 3/23/2011
>>> 3:02:25 AM
>>> [ 81:84 ]     /directoryname
>>>       Cannot read ACLs: ([89] Operation not applicable).
>>
>> Wouldn't this firstly be a question for the vendor of Vormetric?
>
> Yes, and we've asked.  Alas, they haven't been able to help so far.  For
> all we know it might be a bug in Data Protector, too.  But we do know for
> sure that it works with UFS but not ZFS.

Kick off a back up of the dataset/s in question, and run truss(1) on the
processes in question to see what they're doing. Dtrace(1M) would be
another option, and you could limit the tracing to only file system
operations (as opposed to every system call).

The first one looks like it's tripping up on the fact that each dataset is
treated as a different mount point / file system (in the df(1M) sense).
You may have to specify each data set independently.

For the second, it may be that the software is calling acl(2) or
acl_get(3SEC) and it doesn't support the new NFSv4-style structures that
are coming back.