On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Rich Morris <rich.mor...@oracle.com> wrote:
> On 04/06/11 12:43, Paul Kraus wrote:
>>
>> xxx> zfs holds zpool-01/dataset-01@1299636001
>> NAME                               TAG            TIMESTAMP
>> zpool-01/dataset-01@1299636001  .send-18440-0  Tue Mar 15 20:00:39 2011
>> xxx> zfs holds zpool-01/dataset-01@1300233615
>> NAME                               TAG            TIMESTAMP
>> zpool-01/dataset-01@1300233615  .send-18440-0  Tue Mar 15 20:00:47 2011
>> xxx>
>>
>>    That is what I was looking for. Looks like when a zfs send got
>> killed it left a hanging lock (hold) around. I assume the next
>> export/import (not likely as this is a production zpool) or a reboot
>> (will happen eventually, and I can wait) these will clear. Unless
>> there is a way to force clear the hold.
>
> The user holds won't be released by an export/import or a reboot.
>
> "zfs get defer_destroy snapname" will show whether this snapshot is marked
> for
> deferred destroy and "zfs release .send-18440-0 snapname" will clear that
> hold.
> If the snapshot is marked for deferred destroy then the release of the last
> tag
> will also destroy it.

    Sorry I did not get back on this last week, it got busy late in the week.

    I tried the `zfs release` and it appeared to hang, so I just let
it be. A few hours later the server experienced a resource crunch of
some type (fork errors about unable to allocate resources). The load
also varied between about 16 and 50 (it is a 16 CPU M4000).

    Users who had an open SAMBA connection seemed OK, but eventually
we needed to reboot the box (I did let it sit in that state as long as
I could). Since I could not even get on the XSCF console, I had to
`break` it to the OK prompt and sync it. The first boot hung. I then
did a boot -rv and that also hung (I was hoping to see a device probe
that caused the hang, but it looked like it was getting past all the
device discovery). That also hung. Finally a boot -srv got me to a
login prompt. I logged in as root, then logged out and it came up to
mulltiuser-server without a hitch.

    I do not know what the root cause of the initial resource problem
was, as I did not get a good core dump. I *hope* it was not the `zfs
release`, but it may have been.

    After the boot cycle(s) the zfs snapshots are no longer held and I
could destroy them.

    Thanks to all those who helped. This discussion is one of the best
sources, if not THE best source, of zfs support and knowledge.

--
Paul Kraus