> It sent a series of blocks to write from the queue, newer disks wrote them
> and stay
> dormant, while older disks seek around to fit that piece of data... When old
> disks
> complete the writes, ZFS batches them a new set of tasks.
The thing is- as far as I know the OS doesn't ask the disk to find a place to
fit the data. Instead the OS tracks what space on the disk is free and then
tells the disk where to write the data.

Even if ZFS was waiting for the IO to complete I would expect to see that delay
reflected in the disk service times. In our case we see no high service times,
no busy disks, nothing. It seems like ZFS is just sitting there quietly and
thinking to itself. If the processor were busy that might make sense but even
there- our processor seems largely idle.

At the same time- even a scrub on this system is a joke right now and that's a
read intensive operation. I'm seeing a scrub speed of 400K/s but almost no IO's
to my disks.