Tim Cook wrote:
> SAS drives are SAS drives, they aren't like SCSI.
> There aren't 20 different versions with different pinouts.

Uh-huh... Reading some more articles, I think I found the
answer to my question: the SAS connector seems to be
dual-sided (with conductive stripes on both sides of the
plastic) while SATA ports *seem* to be the same (for
backward compatibility) but only have conductive stripes
on one side. Something like that :)

And the SAS connector is notched so the SAS drives can't
plug in to protocol-incompatible SATA-only controllers.

Also some articles stated that at one time there were
single-port SAS drives, so there are at least two SAS
connectors after all ;)

> Multipathing is handled by mpxio.

So I configure MPxIO, then feed the "zpool create" device
names of multipathed aggregates, and hopefully failover
should work.

But can two paths work in parallel to double the bandwidth
for ZFS (to  single disk)? Or this depends on particular chips
and drivers?

Rationale: I've read a review article of an enterprise SSD
which was sold back in SAS1 times (3Gbit/s) but performed
at over 500Mbyte/s - and the reviewers used parallel MPIO
with an LSI 9211-4i card in order to have so much actual
bandwidth.

Thanks,
//Jim