On 06/14/11 04:15, Rasmus Fauske wrote:
> I want to replace some slow consumer drives with new edc re4 ones but
> when I do a replace it needs to scan the full pool and not only that
> disk set (or just the old drive)
>
> Is this normal ? (the speed is always slow in the start so thats not
> what I am wondering about, but that it needs to scan all of my 18.7T to
> replace one drive)

This is normal.  The resilver is not reading all data blocks; it's
reading all of the metadata blocks which contain one or more block
pointers, which is the only way to find all the allocated data (and in
the case of raidz, know precisely how it's spread and encoded across the
members of the vdev).  And it's reading all the data blocks needed to
reconstruct the disk to be replaced.

                                                - Bill