Hi Max,

Unhelpful questions about your CPU aside, what else is your box doing?

Can you run up a second or third shell (ssh or whatever) and watch if the disks / system are doing any work?

Were it Solaris, I'd run:
    iostat -x
    prstat -a
    vmstat
    mpstat (Though as discussed, you have only a single core CPU)
    echo "::memstat" | mdb -k      (No idea how you might do that in BSD)

Some other things to think about:
- Have you tried removing the extra memory? I have indeed seen in crappy PC hardware where more than 3GB caused some really bad behaviour in Solaris. - Have you tried booting into a current Solaris (from CD) and seeing if it can import the pool? (Don't upgrade - just import) ;)

I'm aware that there were some long import issues discussed on the list recently - someone had an import take some 12 hours or more - would be worth looking over the last few weeks posts.

Also - getting a truss or pstack (if freebds has that?) of the process trying to initiate the import might help some of the more serious folks on the list to see where it's getting stuck. (Or if indeed, it's actually getting stuck, and not simply catastrophically slow.)

Hope this helps at least a little.

Cheers,

Nathan.