On 06/15/2011 07:45 PM, Simon Walter wrote:
Thanks for the comments. So ZFS alone cannot do what I'd like.

In linux there Gamin. Or there is also a kernel patch which gives you /proc/fschanges. I could monitor this file for changes and take a snapshot when a change occurs or under certain circumstances. However, the Linux COW type FS are all not as production ready as ZFS. Does (Open)Solaris have a /proc/fschanges equivalent to monitor for FS activity?

Perhaps what I am looking for is Dtrace? Something like this but for the entire FS? http://opensolaris.org/jive/message.jspa?messageID=227128

Is that possible? Is there a /proc/fschanges or similar where all FS access is reported?