On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 6:54 AM, Lanky Doodle <lanky_doo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> OK, I have finally settled on hardware;
>
> 2x LSI SAS3081E-R controllers
> 2x Seagate Momentus 5400.6 rpool disks
> 15x Hitachi 5K3000 'data' disks
>
> I am still undecided as to how to group the disks. I have read elsewhere that
> raid-z1 is best suited with either 3 or 5 disks and raid-z2 is better suited
> with 6 or 10 disks - is there any truth in this, although I think this was in
> reference to 4K sector disks;
>
> 3x 5 drive z1 = 24t usable
> 2x 6 drive z2 = 16t usable

Take a look at
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtReWsGW-SB1dFB1cmw0QWNNd0RkR1ZnN0JEb2RsLXc&hl=en_US

I did a bunch of testing with 40 drives. I varied the configuration
between extremes of 10 vdevs of 4 disks each to one vdev of all 40
drives. All vdevs were raidz2, so my net capacity changed, but I was
looking for _relative_ performance differences. I did not test
sequential reads, as that was not one of our expected I/O patterns. I
believe the OS was Solaris 10U8. I know it was at least zpool version
15 and may have been 22.

I used the same 40 drives in all the test cases as I had seen
differences between drives, and choose 40 that all had roughly
matching svc_t values (from iostat). Eventually we had Sun/Oracle come
in and replace any drive who's svc_t was substantially higher than the
others (these drives also usually had lots of added bad blocks
mapped).

> keeping to those recommendations or
>
> 2x 7 disk z2 = 20t usable with 1 cold/warm/hot spare

The testing was utilizing a portion of our drives, we have 120 x 750
SATA drives in J4400s dual pathed. We ended up with 22 vdevs each a
raidz2 of 5 drives, with one drive in each of the J4400, so we can
lose two complete J4400 chassis and not lose any data.

--
Paul Kraus