Oh -

It just so happens I don't have one available, but that doesn't mean I can't
talk about it.  ;-)

For quite a lot of these tests, all the data resides in the ARC, period.  The
only area where the L2ARC would have an effect is after that region... When I'm
pushing the limits of ARC then there may be some benefit from the use of L2ARC.
 So ...

It is distinctly possible the L2ARC might help soften the "brick wall."  When
reaching arc_meta_limit, some of the metadata might have been pushed out to
L2ARC in order to leave a (slightly) smaller footprint in the ARC...  I doubt
it, but maybe there could be some gain here.

It is distinctly possible the L2ARC might help test #2 approach the performance
of test #3 (test #2 had primarycache=all and suffered approx 10x write
performance degradation, while test #3 had primarycache=metadata and suffered
approx 6x write performance degradation.)

But there's positively no way the L2ARC would come into play on test #3.  In
this situation, all the metadata, the complete DDT resides in RAM.  So with or
without the cache device, the best case we're currently looking at is approx 6x
write performance degradation.