Hi All,

Hoping to gain some insight from some people who have done large scale
systems before? I'm hoping to get some performance estimates, suggestions
and/or general discussion/feedback. I cannot discuss the exact specifics of
the purpose but will go into as much detail as I can.

Technical Specs:
216x 3TB 7k3000 HDDs
24x 9 drive RAIDZ3
4x JBOD Chassis (45 bay)
1x server (36 bay)
2x AMD 12 Core CPU
128GB EEC RAM
2x 480GB SSD Cache
10Gbit NIC

Workloads:

Mainly streaming compressed data. That is, pulling compressed data in a
sequential manner however could have multiple streams happening at once
making it somewhat random. We are hoping to have 5 clients pull 500Mbit
sustained.

Considerations:

The main reason RAIDZ3 was chosen was so we can distribute the parity across
the JBOD enclosures. With this method even if an entire JBOD enclosure is
taken offline the data is still accessible.

Questions:

How to manage the physical locations of such a vast number of drives? I have
read this (
http://blogs.oracle.com/eschrock/entry/external_storage_enclosures_in_solaris)
and am hoping some can shed some light if the SES2 enclosure identification
has worked for them? (enclosures are SES2)

What kind of performance would you expect from this setup? I know we can
multiple the base IOPS by 24 but what about max sequential read/write?

Thanks,

Phil