On 25/07/2011 2:34 AM, Phil Harrison wrote:
Hi All,

Hoping to gain some insight from some people who have done large scale systems
before? I'm hoping to get some
performance estimates, suggestions and/or general discussion/feedback. I cannot
discuss the exact specifics of the
purpose but will go into as much detail as I can.

Technical Specs:
216x 3TB 7k3000 HDDs
24x 9 drive RAIDZ3
4x JBOD Chassis (45 bay)
1x server (36 bay)
2x AMD 12 Core CPU
128GB EEC RAM
2x 480GB SSD Cache
10Gbit NIC

Workloads:

Mainly streaming compressed data. That is, pulling compressed data in a
sequential manner however could have multiple
streams happening at once making it somewhat random. We are hoping to have 5
clients pull 500Mbit sustained.

Considerations:

The main reason RAIDZ3 was chosen was so we can distribute the parity across
the JBOD enclosures. With this method even
if an entire JBOD enclosure is taken offline the data is still accessible.

What kind of 45 bay enclosures?
Have you tested this and took an enclosure out?

Thanks
Evgueni

Questions:

How to manage the physical locations of such a vast number of drives? I have
read this
(http://blogs.oracle.com/eschrock/entry/external_storage_enclosures_in_solaris)
and am hoping some can shed some light
if the SES2 enclosure identification has worked for them? (enclosures are SES2)

What kind of performance would you expect from this setup? I know we can
multiple the base IOPS by 24 but what about max
sequential read/write?

Thanks,

Phil