On Oct 11, 2011, at 2:03 PM, Frank Van Damme wrote:
> 2011/10/11 Richard Elling <richard.ell...@gmail.com>:
>>> ZFS Tunables (/etc/system):
>>>         set zfs:zfs_arc_min = 0x200000
>>>         set zfs:zfs_arc_meta_limit=0x100000000
>>
>> It is not uncommon to tune arc meta limit. But I've not seen a case
>> where tuning arc min is justified, especially for a storage server. Can
>> you explain your reasoning?
>

> Honestly? I don't remember. might be a "leftover" setting from a year
> ago. by now, I figured out I need to "update the boot archive" in
> order for the new setting to have effect at boot time which apparently
> involves booting in safe mode.

The archive should be updated when you reboot. Or you can run
        bootadm update-archive
anytime.

At boot, the zfs_arc_min is copied into arc_c_min overriding the default
setting. You can see the current value via kstat:
        kstat -p zfs:0:arcstats:c_min
        zfs:0:arcstats:c_min    389202432

This is the smallest size that the ARC will shrink to, when asked to shrink
because other applications need memory.
 -- richard

--

ZFS and performance consulting