Op 12-10-11 02:27, Richard Elling schreef:
On Oct 11, 2011, at 2:03 PM, Frank Van Damme wrote:
Honestly? I don't remember. might be a "leftover" setting from a year
ago. by now, I figured out I need to "update the boot archive" in
order for the new setting to have effect at boot time which apparently
involves booting in safe mode.

The archive should be updated when you reboot. Or you can run
        bootadm update-archive
anytime.

At boot, the zfs_arc_min is copied into arc_c_min overriding the default
setting. You can see the current value via kstat:
        kstat -p zfs:0:arcstats:c_min
        zfs:0:arcstats:c_min    389202432

This is the smallest size that the ARC will shrink to, when asked to shrink
because other applications need memory.

The root of the problem seems to be that that process never completes.

9     /lib/svc/bin/svc.startd
  332   /sbin/sh /lib/svc/method/boot-archive-update
    347   /sbin/bootadm update-archive

Can't kill it and run from the cmdline either, it simply ignores SIGKILL. (Which shouldn't even be possible).

--
No part of this copyright message may be reproduced, read or seen,
dead or alive or by any means, including but not limited to telepathy