On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 7:55 AM, Edward Ned Harvey
<opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensola...@nedharvey.com> wrote:
>> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
>> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Jim Klimov
>>
>> new CKSUM errors
>> are being found. There are zero READ or WRITE error counts,
>> though.
>>
>> Should we be worried about replacing the ex-hotspare drive
>> ASAP as well?
>
> You should not be increasing CKSUM errors.  There is something wrong.  I
> cannot say it's necessarily the fault of the drive, but probably it is.  When
> some threshold is reached, ZFS should mark the drive as faulted due to too
> many cksum errors.  I don't recommend waiting for it.

It probably indicates something else faulty in the I/O path, which
could include RAM, HBA or integrated controller chip, loose or
defective cabling, etc.  If RAM is ECC-capable, it seems unlikely to
be the issue.  I'd make sure all cables are fully seated and not
kinked or otherwise damaged.

Eric