From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org
[mailto:zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Ragnar Sundblad
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:26 PM
To: Ragnar Sundblad
Cc: zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org Discuss
Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] HP JBOD D2700 - ok?

Just to follow up on this, in case there are others interested:

The D2700s seems to work quite ok for us. We have four issues with them, all
of which we will ignore for now:
- They hang when I insert an Intel SSD SATA (!) disk (I wanted to test,
  both for log device and cache device, and I had those around).
  This could probably be fixed with a firmware upgrade, but:
- It seems the firmware can't be upgraded if you don't have one of a few
  special HP raid cards! Silly!
- The LEDs on the disks: On the first bay it is turned off, on the rest
  it is turned on. They all flash at activity. I have no idea why this
  is, and I know to little about SAS chassises to even guess. This could
  possibly change with a firmware upgrade of the chassis controllers, but
  maybe not.
- In Solaris 11, the /dev/chassis/HP-D2700-SAS-AJ941A.xx.../Drive_bay_NN
  is supposed to contain a soft link to the device for the disk in the bay.
  This doesn't seem to work for bay 0. It may be related to the previous
  problem, but maybe not.

(We may buy a HP raid card just to be able to upgrade their firmware.)

If we have had the time we probably would have tested some other jbods too,
but we need to get those rolling soon, and these seem good enough.

We have tested them with multipathed SAS, using a single LSI SAS 9205-8e HBA
and connecting the two ports on the HBA to the two controllers in the D2700.

To get multipathing, you need to configure the scsi_vhci driver, in
/kernel/drv/scsi_vhci.conf for sol10 or /etc/driver/drv/scsi_vhci.conf for
sol11-x86. To get better performance, you probably want to use
load-balance="logical-block" instead of load-balance="round-robin".
See examples below.

You may also need to run "stmsboot -e" to enable multipathing. I still
haven't figured out what that does (more than updating /etc/vfstab and
/etc/dumpdates which you typically don't use with ifs), maybe nothing.

Thanks to all that have helped with input!

/ragge

-------------

For solaris 10u8 and later, in /kernel/drv/scsi_vhci.conf.DIST:
#######################
device-type-scsi-options-list =
  "HP      D2700 SAS AJ941A", "symmetric-option",
  "HP      EG", "symmetric-option";
# HP 600 GB 2.5 inch SAS disks: EG0600FBDBU, EG0600FBDSR symmetric-option =
0x1000000;

device-type-mpxio-options-list =
  "device-type=HP      D2700 SAS AJ941A",
"load-balance-options=logical-block-options",
  "device-type=HP      EG", "load-balance-options=logical-block-options";
# HP 600 GB 2.5 inch SAS disks: EG0600FBDBU, EG0600FBDSR
logical-block-options="load-balance=logical-block", "region-size=20"; ...
#######################

For solaris 11, in /etc/driver/drv/scsi_vhci.conf on x86 (in
/kernel/drv/scsi_vhci.conf.DIST on sparc?):
#load-balance="round-robin";
load-balance="logical-block";
region-size=20;
scsi-vhci-failover-override =
       "HP      D2700 SAS AJ941A",     "f_sym",
       "HP      EG",           "f_sym";
# HP 600 GB 2.5 inch SAS disks: EG0600FBDBU, EG0600FBDSR