Thanks for the info, James!

On Jan 31, 2012, at 6:58 PM, James C. McPherson wrote:

> On  1/02/12 12:40 PM, Ragnar Sundblad wrote:
>> I still don't really get what stmsboot -u actually does (and if - and if
>> so how much - this differs between x86 and sparc).
>> Would it be impolite to ask you to elaborate on this a little?
>
> Not at all. Here goes.
>
> /usr/sbin/stmsboot -u arms the mpxio-upgrade service so that it
> runs when you reboot.
>

> The mpxio-upgrade service
>
> #1 execs /lib/stmsboot_util -u, to do the actual rewriting of vfstab
> #2 execs metadevadm if you have any SVM metadevices
> #3 updates your boot archive
> #4 execs dumpadm to ensure that you have the correct dump device
>   listed in /etc/dumpadm.conf
> #5 updates your boot path property on x64, if required.

Most or all of these are UFS-oriented. I've never found a need to run
stmsboot when using ZFS root, even when changing from non-mpxio
to mpxio.

Incidentally, the process to change from IDE legacy mode to AHCI for the
boot drive is very similar, but the Oracle docs say you have to reinstall the
OS. Clearly we can do that without reinstalling the OS, as shown in the
ZFS-discuss archives.
 -- richard

> /lib/stmsboot_util is the binary which does the heavy lifting. Each
> vfstab device element is checked - the cache that was created prior
> to the reboot is used to identify where the new paths are. You can
> see this cache by running strings over /etc/mpxio/devid_path.cache.
>

> This is all available for your perusal at
>
> http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/cmd/stmsboot/
>

> cheers,
> James
> --