> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Michael Armstrong
>
> Is there a way to quickly ascertain if my seagate/hitachi drives are as
large as
> the 2.0tb samsungs? I'd like to avoid the situation of replacing all
drives and
> then not being able to grow the pool...

It doesn't matter.  If you have a bunch of drives that are all approx the
same size but vary slightly, and you make (for example) a raidz out of them,
then the raidz will only be limited by the size of the smallest one.  So you
will only be wasting 1% of the drives that are slightly larger.

Also, given that you have a pool currently made up of 13x2T and 5x1T ... I
presume these are separate vdev's.  You don't have one huge 18-disk raidz3,
do you?  that would be bad.  And it would also mean that you're currently
wasting 13x1T.  I assume the 5x1T are a single raidzN.  You can increase the
size of these disks, without any cares about the size of the other 13.

Just make sure you have the autoexpand property set.

But most of all, make sure you do a scrub first, and make sure you complete
the resilver in between each disk swap.  Do not pull out more than one disk
(or whatever your redundancy level is) while it's still resilvering from the
previously replaced disk.  If you're very thorough, you would also do a
scrub in between each disk swap, but if it's just a bunch of home movies
that are replaceable, you will probably skip that step.