New question: if the snv_117 does see the 3Tb disks well,
the matter of upgrading the OS becomes not so urgent - we
might prefer to delay that until the next stable release
of OpenIndiana or so.

Now that I think of it, when was raidz3 introduced?..
I don't see it in the zpool manpage as of SXCE snv_117,
but it is in SXCE snv_129 with zpool v22 on another box :)
(and the "zpool upgrade -v" there says triple-parity raidz
was added in zpool v17).

Even so, LiveUpgrading SXCE to its latest release seems
like an easier (faster) solution than migrating the whole
OS and its local zones into the IPS paradigm right away.

THE QUESTION:

Would there be substantial issues if we start out making
and filling the new raidz3 8+3 pool in SXCE snv_129 (with
zpool v22) or snv_130, and later upgrade the big zpool
along with the major OS migration, that can be avoided
by a preemptive upgrade to oi_151a or later (oi_151a3?)

Perhaps, some known pool corruption issues or poor data
layouts in older ZFS software releases?..

Thanks,
//Jim