> The client is using async writes, that include commits. Sync writes do
> not need commits.
>
> What happens is that the ZFS transaction group commit occurs at more-
> or-less regular intervals, likely 5 seconds for more modern ZFS
> systems. When the commit occurs, any data that is in the ARC but not
> commited in a prior transaction group gets sent to the ZIL

Are you sure? I don't think this is the case unless I misunderstood you or
this is some recent change to Illumos.

Whatever is being committed when zfs txg closes goes directly to pool and
not to zil. Only sync writes will go to zil right a way (and not always, see
logbias, etc.) and to arc to be committed later to a pool when txg closes.

--
Robert Milkowski
http://milek.blogspot.com