Ok, so, after reading a bit more of this discussion and after playing
around at the weekend, i have a couple of questions to ask...

1: Do my pools need to be the same? for example, the pool in the datacenter
is 2 1Tb drives in Mirror. in house i have 5 200Gb virtual drives in
RAIDZ1, giving 800Gb usable. If i am backing up stuff to the home server,
can i still do a ZFS Send, even though underlying system is different?
2: If i give out a partition as an iSCSI LUN, can this be ZFS Sended as
normal, or is there any difference?

Thanks.

--Tiernan

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 3:51 AM, Richard Elling <richard.ell...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Oct 7, 2012, at 3:50 PM, Johannes Totz <johan...@jo-t.de> wrote:

> >> It is recommended, whenever possible, you should pipe the "zfs send"
> >> directly into a "zfs receive" on the receiving system.  For two
> >> solid reasons:
> >>
> >> If a single bit is corrupted, the whole stream checksum is wrong and
> >> therefore the whole stream is rejected.  So if this occurs, you want
> >> to detect it (in the form of one incremental failed) and then
> >> correct it (in the form of the next incremental succeeding).
> >> Whereas, if you store your streams on storage, it will go undetected,
> >> and everything after that point will be broken.
> >>
> >> If you need to do a restore, from a stream stored on storage, then
> >> your only choice is to restore the whole stream.  You cannot look
> >> inside and just get one file.  But if you had been doing send |
> >> receive, then you obviously can look inside the receiving filesystem
> >> and extract some individual specifics.
> >>
> >> If the recipient system doesn't support "zfs receive," [...]
> >
> > On that note, is there a minimal user-mode zfs thing that would allow
> > receiving a stream into an image file? No need for file/directory access
> > etc.
>
> cat :-)
>
> > I was thinking maybe the zfs-fuse-on-linux project may have suitable
> bits?
>
> I'm sure most Linux distros have cat
>  -- richard

Tiernan O'Toole
blog.lotas-smartman.net
www.geekphotographer.com
www.tiernanotoole.ie
  • Re: [zfs-discuss]... Edward Ned Harvey (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris)
    • Re: [zfs-dis... Johannes Totz
      • Re: [zfs... Richard Elling
        • Re: ... Tiernan OToole
          • ... Ian Collins
            • ... Tiernan OToole
        • Re: ... Edward Ned Harvey (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris)
          • ... Richard Elling
            • ... Edward Ned Harvey (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris)
              • ... Richard Elling
              • ... Edward Ned Harvey (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris)
              • ... Jim Klimov