On Oct 10, 2012, at 9:29 AM, Edward Ned Harvey
(opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris)
<opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensola...@nedharvey.com> wrote:

>> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
>> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Richard Elling

>>> On that note, is there a minimal user-mode zfs thing that would allow
>>> receiving a stream into an image file? No need for file/directory access
>>> etc.
>>
>> cat :-)
>
> He was asking if it's possible to do "zfs receive" on a system that doesn't
> natively support zfs.  The answer is no, unless you want to consider fuse or
> similar.

Read it again he asked, "On that note, is there a minimal user-mode zfs thing
that would allow
receiving a stream into an image file?"  Something like:
        zfs send ... | ssh user@host "cat > file"

>  I can't speak about zfs on fuse or anything - except that I personally
> wouldn't trust it.  There are differences even between zfs on solaris versus
> freebsd, vs whatever, all of which are fully supported, much better than zfs
> on fuse.  But different people use and swear by all of these things - so
> maybe it would actually be a good solution for you.
>
> The direction I would personally go would be an openindiana virtual machine
> to do the zfs receive.
>

>>> I was thinking maybe the zfs-fuse-on-linux project may have suitable bits?
>>
>> I'm sure most Linux distros have cat
>
> hehe.  Anyway.  Answered above.

 -- richard

--

richard.ell...@richardelling.com
+1-760-896-4422

        • Re: ... Edward Ned Harvey (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris)
          • ... Ian Collins
            • ... Frank Cusack
  • Re: [zfs-discuss]... Edward Ned Harvey (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris)
    • Re: [zfs-dis... Johannes Totz
      • Re: [zfs... Richard Elling
        • Re: ... Tiernan OToole
          • ... Ian Collins
            • ... Tiernan OToole
        • Re: ... Edward Ned Harvey (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris)
          • ... Richard Elling
            • ... Edward Ned Harvey (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris)
              • ... Richard Elling
              • ... Edward Ned Harvey (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris)
              • ... Jim Klimov