Hello,

I have a degraded mirror set and this is has happened a few times (not
always the same drive) over the last two years. In the past I replaced the
drive and and ran zpool replace and all was well. I am wondering, however,
if it is safe to run zpool replace without replacing the drive to see if
it is in fact failed. On traditional RAID systems I have had drives drop
out of an array, but be perfectly fine. Adding them back to the array
returned the drive to service and all was well. Does that approach work
with ZFS? If not, is there another way to test the drive before making the
decision to yank and replace?

Thank you!
Chris