On 2013-03-11 21:50, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Mon, 11 Mar 2013, Tiernan OToole wrote:

I know this might be the wrong place to ask, but hopefully someone can
point me in the right direction...
I got my hands on a Sun x4200. Its the original one, not the M2, and
has 2 single core Opterons, 4Gb RAM and 4 73Gb SAS Disks...
But, I dont know what to install on it... I was thinking of SmartOS,
but the site mentions Intel support for VT, but nothing for
AMD... The Opterons dont have VT, so i wont be using XEN, but the
Zones may be useful...

OpenIndiana or OmniOS seem like the most likely candidates.

You can run VirtualBox on OpenIndiana and it should be able to work
without VT extensions.

Also note that without the extensions VirtualBox has some quirks.
Most notably, lack of "acceleration" and support for virtual SMP.
But unlike some other virtualizers, it should work (does work for
us on a Thumper also with pre-VTx Opteron CPUs). However, recently
the VM "virtual hardware" clocks became way slow. I am at loss so
far, the forum was moderately helpful - probably the load on the
host and induced latencies have their role. But the problem does
happen on more modern hardware too, so VTx (lack of) shouldn't be
our reason...

//Jim