Stephen Beecroft wrote:

> You are my
> perception.

Hey, that could be a Carly Simon song...

> So far as I know, the entire world and all its people don't
> even exist, except in my fevered imagination. But I think my perception
> is at least reasonably justified in this case, based on exchanges like
> the following from yesterday evening:

>      -Marc-
>      > Maybe better food is why our special forces killed more
>      > Taliban than your special forces did in Afghanistan over
>      > the past six months even though your group is 4 times the
>      > size of ours (1300 vs 300)* ;-)

It was a yolk (pun intended). Like "better food" (and who's the judge) really
makes the difference. And it's always easy to egg on [pun intended] USAmericans
by impugning (at a low broil for 45 minutes, then turn over and repeat) their
armed might and implying their eagles might be chickens with an attitude
problem...  [and this is a joke, too]

>      -John-
>      > Yeah, its real nice to know that you Canadians are real
>      > killers slaughtering people half way around the word. It
>      > must make you feel great.
>
>      -Marc-
>      > I never know whether to feel proud or ashamed. Our problem
>      > these days is we are gradually losing our sovereignty to
>      > the U.S. and are becoming prisoners of your foreign policy.
>      > We don't have a lot of choice -- sometimes you just have to
>      > play a bad hand the best you can. That's why I was so
>      > surprised when Jean Chrétien criticized Bush's readiness to
>      > go to war against Iraq and advised caution. That's rather
>      > un-Canadian.
>
> Perhaps now you understand the origin of my confusion.

The latter part's thread drift. Happens all the time. But I think I knew right
from the start the origin of your confusion, so I tried to keep the moral aspect
separate from just the factual side, of numbers, who said what, etc.

--
Marc A. Schindler

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and
falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."
--Michelangelo Buonarroti