Mark Gregson:

You mean to say that you cannot vote in the US unless you register
your "preference"?  Is that true?  And if it is, what's the point
of it?  Since your vote is secret, why register a preference?

_______________

I do not recall living in a state where you had to declare a party
preference in order to register to vote.

In the state where I now live, if you vote in a primary election,
you vote only in the primary election of one particular party.  You
automatically become a member of that party and you cannot vote
or participate in the other party's election.

After the primary election (and any runoffs, as needed), anyone
registered may vote in the general election in November (including
those who did not vote in the primary election).

This primary election law has some unusual consequences.  A judge
who had served well for 20 years as a Democrat was unopposed.  He
decided to vote for his friend, a Republican in their primary.
Because he did this, he was ruled ineligible to be on the Democratic
ballot, was removed, and another Democrat was appointed to take his
place.

In the meantime, the Republicans had not put up a Republican
challenger, but now a different Democrat was going to walk into
office unopposed.  Because the law does not allow a Republican
on the ballot this election, since a Republican primary election
was not held, there will be an independent write-in candidate
for whom folks may vote in November.  It will be interesting.

The state supreme court has upheld all of this as lawful and
constitutional under state law.

Larry Jackson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Only $9.95 per month!