---------- Larry Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Mark Gregson:

You mean to say that you cannot vote in the US unless you register
your "preference"?  Is that true?  And if it is, what's the point
of it?  Since your vote is secret, why register a preference?

_______________

I do not recall living in a state where you had to declare a party
preference in order to register to vote.

In the state where I now live, if you vote in a primary election,
you vote only in the primary election of one particular party.  You
automatically become a member of that party and you cannot vote
or participate in the other party's election.
val:
That is how it is here in Indiana--for the primary, we must declare a party, and then
the voting machine is actually locked for the other party.  It's frustrating to me,
because we only get two choices here for the primary--Republican or Democrat.  We do
not have an Independent choice.

And, for the record <John ;-)>  I am a good Mormon Democrat (put the modifer where you
will).  The Republicans in my area are corrupt money grubbers.  They could care less
about me or any other John Q. Public type--just see who can line their pockets the
best.

Our current Republican mayor is an idiot.  I even told him to his face, in a city
council meeting, that I do not like him and my role as a registered Democrat is to
find fault with everything he does.  I must tell you, to put this into context, that
it was a hearing on a new anti-porn city ordinance that I was STRONGLY in favor of, so
after I had my say to the mayor, I conceded that I agreed with him on this (even
though I know it was the City Council who initiated it).  I will never forget the
shocked look on his face as the standing-room-only crowd roared.

The funny part, really, was that in that entire room, only one person spoke against
the ordinance--the ACLU lawyer.  I had the unfortunate luck to be seated next to him.
Turns out he went to school with my brother yadda yadda yadda.  After I spoke, he
wouldn't say word one to me.  Funny thing--politics is.

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com