Stephen Beecroft wrote:

> -Stephen-
> > Interesting. So, then, what did you intend to say when you wrote:
> >
> >      So to say that my late father was a Democrat means that he
> >      was registered as a Democrat. As it happens, this is pretty
> >      meaningless, because the vote is secret, and you can vote
> >      for whomever you like.
> >

> -Marc-
> > <sigh> You know, this isn't rocket science.
>
> No, it's not. It's called "reading".
>
> > All you have to do is read, not cut and paste selectively
> > in what appears to be a deliberately polemical way.
>
> In fact, I cut and pasted to preserve the meaning as much as possible
> without simply requoting your entire email.
>
> > I had already made my point about state conventions, then went
> > on to write what you've quoted.
>
> Wrong. The part I quoted was at the beginning of your email. You then
> went on to expound even more after that.

Stephen, please knock it off. You know darn well thiw wasn't the beginning of my
email -- you'd already quoted the whole paragraph before. Before I wrote what you
quoted, I wrote, "Being a 'member' of a party in our Westminster system means
something different than it does in the U.S. In  the U.S. every voter registers
for a party (or as an independent -- as I  recall the rules vary considerably
from state to state, as to how the states elect their delegates to the party
national conventions). "  This was then followed by what you selectively quoted,
"So to say that my late father was a Democrat means that he was registered as a
Democrat. As it happens, this is pretty meaningless, because the vote is secret,
and you can vote for whomever you like." I changed my focus from state
conventions (primaries) to elections. If you don't want to accept my explanation
as to what I was thinking when I wrote this, then there's no point continuing
this as far as I'm concerned. You see what you want to see.

--
Marc A. Schindler

“We do not think that there is an incompatibility between words and deeds; the
worst thing is to rush into action before the consequences have been properly
debated…To think of the future and wait was merely another way of saying one was
a coward; any idea of moderation was just an attempt to disguise one’s unmanly
character; ability to understand a question from all sides meant that one was
totally unfitted for action.” – Pericles about his fellow-Athenians, as quoted by
Thucydides in “The Peloponessian Wars”