Marc A. Schindler wrote:
> Let us know what you decide, and I'm sure I speak for the 3 of us when I
> say we'll
> do what we can to accommodate you. I'm probably the closest to the
> highway you'll
> be on (the Yellowhead) but Mark's not too far off, and Cardston's about
> a 45
> minute side trip each way (from the main highway south from Lethbridge
> Montana).

The trip from Provo to Cardston takes 12 hours if you only stop for gas
and perhaps one or two very fast pottie breaks at road side rest areas.
If you tempt fate and have a very fast car you can do it in 11 hours.
If you are a young person in love and out of touch with reality you
might even shave a half hour off that.  If you are the type that stops
to eat it will take you 13 or 14 hours.  If you stop to smell the
roses.... well plan for two days.

There are a wide variety of routes with varying advantages and
disadvantages.  Basically, the best thing to do is take the I-15 from
Provo to at least Wolf Creek Mt. Just north of Wolf Creek you can cut
off for the shortest route to Canada (not necessarily the quickest). If
you are interested in the quickest you carry on through Great Falls to
the border.  There are a couple of places to cut off when Cardston is
your goal to save a few minutes, but the Coutts/Sweetgrass border
crossing on I-15 is the only 24 hour port of entry in the vicinity and
going there reduces the complication of possibly sleeping in a car in
the Montana wilderness waiting for the border to open in the distant
morning.

After crossing the border at Coutts/Sweetgrass you get to Cardston
either by taking highway #501 west after going north from the border
about 12 miles.  Or you can go about 20 miles north and cut off west to
Raymond, then south to Cardston.  But that's longer and the road isn't
any better imho.

If you stretched your day out on Wednesday to reach Cardston you would
find beds and breakfast at the Matkin home.  The next day it would be a
6 hour drive to Edmonton.  I'm no expert on how long it takes to get
from Edmonton to Prince Rupert. But it would probably take a monster day
(we used to drive from here to Vancouver in a single day, when we didn't
know any better and I suppose it would be a comparable journey).  If it
stretched out for two days you would get to Prince Rupert by Sat. night.
 Which builds a little slack into your itinerary in case you have a flat
tire, get hit by food poisoning from eating tainted deep fried chicken
gizzards at the Flying J in Rocker, Montana (just west of beautiful
downtown Butte) get lost, encounter normal winter driving conditions, or
stop to smell the roses.

Tom