-Paul-
> there are times in my life when I sneak a prayer to Jesus only
> without thinking of the Father. I wouldn't teach this at the
> church pulpit, or what not, but I am telling my friends (you) in
> private that sometimes (not often) I just want to focus my
>  thoughts on Christ alone and tell him that I love him and need
> him-- he is my brother. This tone does come from the Book of
> Mormon.

I don't know if this is appropriate or not. I rather suspect not, based
on Christ's teachings and the example set by our leaders, but I am not
sure. Note that in the Book of Mormon, they only prayed to Christ
directly when he was physically standing in front of them, as he himself
pointed out (3 Ne 19:22: "Father, thou hast given them the Holy Ghost
because they believe in me; and thou seest that they believe in me
because thou hearest them, and they pray unto me; and THEY PRAY UNTO ME
BECAUSE I AM WITH THEM").

-Jon-
> Ya know, now that you mention it, I don't think that there is
> anything wrong with having a little talk with Christ.  The
> gratitude I am certain we all feel for Christ and what He did
> for us is well beyond anything that I can express in words.

Are we then also justified in praying to our celestial Mother? I don't
believe so; people who have taught this particualr thing have been
excommunicated for apostasy. Perhaps praying to Jesus is somehow
entirely different. But to my small mind, our prayers are directed to
the Father and to him alone. If Jesus comes to visit me, I'll pray to
him; otherwise, I think it's probably not appropriate.

That's just my viewpoint, of course. Do whatever you feel right about
doing.

Stephen