Steven Montgomery wrote:
I agree. I still have several Handyman jacks. But, in the particular "bind" I was in, since I was at the pinnacle of a very narrow steep ridge, I didn't have anyplace to put the jack, it wouldn't "hold" no matter where I put it or tried to brace it, so--I broke down and paid $50.00 to have a tow truck nudge me just enough to get me off.

John English told of a jeep that belonged to a friend of ours, Fred Evans, that we cruised the deserts with around El Paso when we were young. But I have a story about Fred and his jeep that John may never have heard:

On the 4th of July in 1973 I went out to Kilbourne Hole northwest of El Paso with my roommate Don Riding in his little Ford Pinto. It was about 105 degrees in the shade. Well, we got stuck in some soft sand in a dry creek bottom on the road, and we had to walk out, a really terrifying experience because so many die of dehydration in the same situation.

We finally came to a deep well farm, and telephoned for a tow truck. The tow truck got stuck trying to pull us out. Then a second tow truck got stuck trying to pull out the first tow truck. Finally, we called Fred who brought his old WWII jeep out. Fred had better sense than to get down into the depression where the pinto and two tow trucks were stuck. He stayed up on the ridge and let out his winch. First he pulled out one tow truck, then the other, and finally the Pinto. Both the tow truck operators were so embarrassed. They had tried so hard to get out of the depression they had badly damaged their trucks on the rocks, tearing off their mufflers and doing body damage. It was late that night when all of us got home. Boy were we tired. And thank heaven for Fred and his old jeep.

Did you ever hear that one, John?

John W. Redelfs [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"While we cannot agree with others on certain matters, we
must never be disagreeable. We must be friendly,
soft-spoken, neighborly, and understanding." (President
Gordon B. Hinckley, October 2003)