Well put, Sandy.  To me -- others will surely differ -- the
divinely-inspired U.S. Constitution is the guide for how we
should deal with such matters.  In asserting that the
Constitution is divinely inspired, God suggests that that
equality, rule of law, and freedom to worship and choose right
from wrong are paramount.  The Constitution does not -- need
not -- endorse evil doing per se, but it should continue to give
us the right to choose for ourselves and, within reason, make
"shades of gray" assessments as society correctly or incorrectly
(ultimately) deems appropriate. If God intended that we should be
compelled to behave ourselves, a different cast of characters
would have emerged victorious in the pre-existence.

We don't have to make sure the constitution is doing anything. There's no "should" involved in it whatsoever. That's the beauty of it. It takes care of itself. We can vote however we want to vote. If we want to be a bunch of bigoted fools we can. And the laws we get from our bigotry will hurt us until we get them off of the books. The constitution gives us the mechanism by which we can do whatever we want to do with some order. It insures that the people be the ones to choose...be it for good or evil.

The constitution though requires that the people that are doing the voting be mostly righteous...or at least righteous enough. If the people aren't and the laws that get created are too bad, the entire government structure may fall apart. It's kind of what we're seeing now with abortion and gay marriage.

>I actually agree with you as to what you wrote. It's how
we apply these things to society as a whole that's part of
what I'm wrestling with.

I think God intends us to wrestle a lot. It seems define what
this life is all about.

RBS

3 Nephi 6:5
5 And now there was nothing in all the land to hinder the people from prospering continually, except they should fall into transgression.

3 Nephi 6:15 - 17
15 Now the cause of this iniquity of the people was this--Satan had great power, unto the stirring up of the people to do all manner of iniquity, and to the puffing them up with pride, tempting them to seek for power, and authority, and riches, and the vain things of the world.
16 And thus Satan did lead away the hearts of the people to do all manner of iniquity; therefore they had enjoyed peace but a few years.
17 And thus, in the commencement of the thirtieth year--the people having been delivered up for the space of a long time to be carried about by the temptations of the devil whithersoever he desired to carry them, and to do whatsoever iniquity he desired they should--and thus in the commencement of this, the thirtieth year, they were in a state of awful wickedness.
18 Now they did not sin ignorantly, for they knew the will of God concerning them, for it had been taught unto them; therefore they did wilfully rebel against God.

3 Nephi 6:30
30 And they did set at defiance the law and the rights of their country; and they did covenant one with another to destroy the governor, and to establish a king over the land, that the land should no more be at liberty but should be subject unto kings.

3 Nephi 7:6
6 And the regulations of the government were destroyed, because of the secret combination of the friends and kindreds of those who murdered the prophets.

3 Nephi 7:8 - 10
8 And thus six years had not passed away since the more part of the people had turned from their righteousness, like the dog to his vomit, or like the sow to her wallowing in the mire.
9 Now this secret combination, which had brought so great iniquity upon the people, did gather themselves together, and did place at their head a man whom they did call Jacob;
10 And they did call him their king; therefore he became a king over this wicked band; and he was one of the chiefest who had given his voice against the prophets who testified of Jesus.

That's all it takes guys...36 verses. Peace to war. Prosperity to ruin. 6 years...36 verses.
--
Jonathan Scott