hi Octave, thanks much for the comments.

However, I think there's a need to take a few steps back...

The requirements you list are things that seems to me to be: once we have decided that we want an NFS server in a zone, these are important things that should be true of the delivered product.

But I'm not yet seeing clear reasons for *why* we want an NFS server in a zone. I'm certainly not saying that we don't want this, I just want to fully understand the need for it.

scrap projects. Probably the most common idea for having a zone NFS
server is for Jumpstart or home directories. As things stand today,
it's not doable.

Right, but these things are easily done (of course) using a server in the global zone: what advantages do we gain by putting the server in a local zone?

I think the key requirements would be:

1. Full NFS server functionality within a zone. So things like share,
/etc/dfs/dfstab, sharemgr, ZFS sharing, etc. should work in the same
manner as they do in the global zone.

Yes, this would definitely be a delivery requirement for this project, but it doesn't sound like a justification for it.

2. Security. Separation of NFS namespace to insure proper security
between zones.

I'm not sure I quite understand this. Would you please expand?

3. Performance. NFS serving out of a zone should not be slower or less
scalable than NFS serving from the global zone.

Indeed, this would be an important delivery requirement, of course.

thanks again for your comments.

cheers,
calum.