Moore, Joe wrote:
William Roche wrote:
Now about the automounter, I share Nico's point of view, but as far as
know nothing like that already exist, and No, the automounter or a
mount
request isn't 'clever' enough (or customized enough) yet to handle NFS
data shared by the global zone and translate the mount request into an
LOFS mount. So be careful with NFS share from the global zone when you
have local zones on the same machine.

The global zone could be the one running automount.  Since it knows what host is
"local", it'll convert the nfs mounts to lofs automagically.

Yes, that part works.
For each zone, add the zone's automount entries to global:/etc/auto_master as
/zonepath/root/home +auto_home vers=3,nosuid (for example)

Haven't tried it.  It would muck up NFSv4 identities, and blur the lines
between the global zone administrator and a local zone admin.

I've tried this over the years. It doesn't work for several reasons. In particular, there is a check in the kernel autofs code to prevent it. But even if that was changed there would need to be some synchronization to inform the global zone automounter about the state of the zones so that the autofs trigger mounts could be managed properly.

--Glenn