Are you sure fusion isn't checking the amount of available memory
itself and just deciding to abort?

It wouldn't be unprecendeted -- if you run Oracle RDBMS on NFS mounts,
it refuses to start unless it sees explicit mount options provided for
the database filesystems (even when they are merely affirming the
default behavior).

If you can, I'd try using truss or such -- I'd be interested to see if
it's running vmstat or looking at some kstats.