What is your client timeout? It may be too low.

also see this section on handling recoverable errors:
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ZooKeeper/ErrorHandling

connection loss in particular needs special care since:
"When a ZooKeeper client loses a connection to the ZooKeeper server there may be some requests in flight; we don't know where they were in their flight at the time of the connection loss. "

Patrick

Satish Bhatti wrote:
I have recently started running on EC2 and am seeing quite a few
ConnectionLoss exceptions.  Should I just catch these and retry?  Since I
assume that eventually, if the shit truly hits the fan, I will get a
SessionExpired?
Satish