From: Patrick Hunt [mailto:ph...@apache.org] Sent: Friday, October 23, 2009 11:58 AM
To: Mark Vigeant
Cc: Patrick Hunt; zookeeper-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Cluster Configuration Issues

Usually this indicates that either a firewall is blocking one or more of the ports, or the server isn't started on all the hosts. First verify connectivity, I usually use telnet, see detail here:

https://help.maximumasp.com/KB/a445/connectivity-testing-with-ping-telnet-tracert-and-pathping-.aspx

Patrick

Mark Vigeant wrote:
Ok, so now the clientPort is all set, but I'm running into another problem.

When I try to start up zookeeper server, the error I'm getting now is that it
can't open the channel to the other machine:

2009-10-223 10:39:11,941 - WARN
[QuorumPeer:/0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:2181:quorumcnxmana...@336] - Cannot open channel
to 2 at
election address leela/10.7.21.216:3888

I've checked to see if ports 2888 or 3888 are in use on either machine and they are not. Also, there is an open ssh between the 2 of them. I've tried on a few other ports as well and it's giving me the same issue. Do I need to tamper with port permissions?