it is a bit confusing but initLimit is the timer that is used when a follower connects to a leader. there may be some state transfers involved to bring the follower up to speed so we need to be able to allow a little extra time for the initial connection.

after that we use syncLimit to figure out if a leader or follower is dead. a peer (leader or follower) is considered dead if syncLimit ticks goes by without hearing from the other machine. (this is after the initial connection has been made.)

please open a jira to made the text a bit more explicit. feel free to add suggestions :)

thanx
ben