Martin,
 2Mb link might certainly be a problem. We can refer to these nodes as
ZooKeeper servers. Znodes is used to data elements in the ZooKeeper data
tree.

The Zookeeper ensemble has minimal traffic which is basically health checks
between the members of the ensemble. We call one of the members as Leader
who is leading the ensemble and the others as Followers. The Leader does
periodic health checks to see if the Followers are doing fine. This is of
the order of << 1KB/sec.

There is some traffic when the leader election within the ensemble happens.
This might be of the order of 1-2KB/sec.

As you mentioned the reads happen locally. So, a good enough link within the
ensemble members is important so that these followers can be up to date with
the Leader. But again looking at your config, looks like its mostly read
only traffic.

One more thing you should be aware of:
Lets says a ephemeral node was created and the client died, then the clients
connected to the slow ZooKeeper server (with 2Mb/s links) would lag behind
the other clients connected to the other servers.

As per my opinion you should do some testing since 2Mb/sec seems a little
dodgy.

Thanks
mahadev