I believe Lei's concern is that the leader and all slaves can talk to ZK, but the slaves cannot talk to the leader. As a result no work can be done. However nothing will happen on the ZK side since everyone is heartbeating properly.

Mahadev I think you came up with a pretty good solution. However since the leader can see the votes from all the slaves it might just want to give up the lead itself and "pause" for a while (to give someone else the chance to be the leader). This would allow the leader to handle the case better where a single slave cannot talk to the leader, but the rest of the slaves can communicate fine.

Patrick