I am using it rather heavily. The "overengineery" impression comes from the fact that it is intended to be highly pluggable (CMF-style, i.e. by replacing tools). For example I always replace the generator with something more robust than a simple counter. Using it is straight forward, you just do uid = handler.register(anObject) and anObject = handler.getObjectByUid(uid).

Stefan