In the original design of ZCTextIndex we (PythonLabs mostly) considered
stemming and found that it has been found to have dubious value in many
information theorists views (The fact that Google does no stemming was also a
factor in the decision). So we decided to leave it out entirely.

ZCTextIndex is extensible and third parties can add additional text processing
facilites (called pipeline elements) to the system without modifying
ZCTextIndex. This could be a way to add stemming and any other conceivable
feature involving preprocessing the index source and query text.

Granted that feature could use better(!) documentation... (I should just add
that to my email sig ;^)

-Casey