Chris Withers wrote:
[snip]
One of my other bugbears is that a flood of deprecation warnings often masks real problems.

What real problems?

How would people feel about the default zope.conf hiding all deprecation warning?

-1

This is bad. You'd be making it far less likely people will worry about deprecations, and they'll end up fixing their code *after* the deprecation period when things actually break, instead of before.

Product authors should switch them on for their products, which they control, and they should need to worry about.

I wouldn't be against a way to selectively shut *down* deprecation warnings for products. I would do this only when I'm working on fixing deprecation warnings elsewhere and temporarily don't want to see them, or when I don't want to worry a customer.

This also applies for project-specific code.

This seems a better place to me than the current default behaviour of "there's loads of these being spewed out, so I'll just ignore 'em all" which misses out on the last 2 things I mentioned above...

Your response is quite different than mine. If my Zope spews out warnings at me I go and fix them. :) I really don't like applications that babble at me.

Regards,

Martijn