--On 26. August 2007 20:00:35 +0200 Dieter Maurer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Andreas Jung wrote at 2007-8-25 17:47 +0200:
... emulate "DateTime" (implicitely) by "datatime" ...
Before digging deeper I would like to hear some opinions if this seems a
reasonable approach? Unlikely that we can achieve 100% backward
compatibility but possibly 99%....thoughts...comments?

I would prefer a more explicit approach :-)

  Make Python's "datatime" available in addition to "DateTime" and
  provide conversion functions between the two.

Conversion between both is pretty much trivial. However I have no idea
how this would solve the DateTime problem. So what are our DateTime problems?

- an insane constructor with a parser trying to parse almost every
  date format in the world (with lots of guessing and dealing
  with ambiguousness)

- an insane timezone handling

- DateTime is doing way too much

However after this weekend I have the feeling that this is an mission-impossible project.

The lots of problems related to "DateTime" show that date handling is
difficult. These difficulties make it not unlikely that the proposed
emulation will have difficulties, too.

I would not care about some incompatibilities if people have the chance
using the old version somehow (e.g. through a DT egg).

-aj