Stephan Richter wrote:
On Friday 09 November 2007, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
It can't because you guys broke a dozen packages when you split up some of the zope.app.* packages. I'm going to fix this now.

Can we stop pointing fingers, please?

Sorry for not sugar coating the facts. I gladly will stop pointing fingers when you guys fix the bugs that you introduced and have been made aware of, e.g. https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope3/+bug/158743.

Not to worry now, I finally found the time to do it myself at the Boring Sprint now.

I just spent 3-4 man-weeks to get the packages to a decent state, produce the KGS and write tools to make the entire process a little saner. Certainly not a mess that I started.

Also, I have a couple of beefs with the "locked down index" approach to
the KGS. For instance, if we use the Zope 3.4.x KGS, how would we lock
down the version of the grok egg? Or simplejson, z3c.flashmessage and
all the other Grok-specific dependencies? Create our own locked down
index? I don't think so.

For all packages living at svn.zope.org, the KGS is open and people can submit additions, as I offered in a recent zope-dev mail. (I wonder whether anyone read it.)

As for other packages, you have two choices:

(1) Fix the versions in the [version] section of buildout.

(2) Derive a new KGS based on the Zope 3.4 one.

When Jim and I discussed the KGS and how to implement it initially, we had the second solution in mind. In fact, we talked in particular about grok as an example.

Implementing support for (2) should be pretty simple. You simply have to enhance the zc.mirrorcheeseshopslashsimple code to accept multiple controlled-pages.cfg files. This should take about 30 mins.

The versions.cfg file loaded from HTTP works now.

If you want some of the testing comforts that I have enjoyed, then you need to adjust zope.release to handle multiple controlled-packages.cfg files as well. This is an overall easy task and getting the index online is also pretty straightforward. I use the following crontab configuration:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
* * * * * /home/srichter/mirror-tool/bin/generate-controlled-pages /var/www/download.zope.org/zop
e3.4
* * * * * /home/srichter/mirror-tool/bin/update-simple-mirror /var/www/download.zope.org/zope3.4

So you're telling me that in order to define my own KGS (which anybody should do for a serious project), I'll have to start deploying my own index. For each project?